Document Type : Research Paper
1 Department of Industrial Engineering, West Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
2 Department of Industrial Engineering, Shahid Ashrafi Esfahani University, Isfahan, Iran.
3 Sharif University of Technology International Campus-Kish Island, Kish, Iran.
Green Project Management (GPM) involves a set of management actions to identify and evaluate the impact of activities on the environment and to control and improve performance. Accordingly, the concepts of lean, agility and resilience have a special place as driving forces because they can play an important role in improving the environment. Therefore, the present study is conducted with the aim of identifying and prioritizing GPM activities. They are introduced based on the principles of project management knowledge set and considering the concept of green. Then, by considering the concepts of resilience, agility and purity as research criteria using Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process (FAHP), activities are prioritized. This study has a pairwise comparison questionnaire that data are collected from construction industry experts. The incompatibility rate index is used to determine the reliability of the questionnaire. The results show that the five activities of GPM are identifying a team that can align the project with environmental policies. Development, documentation of the project charter, setting goals in the project charter, quality control, cost, planning, safety of environmental activities, and preparation of GPM programs, respectively, should be given more attention.
- Fuzzy analytic hierarchy process
- Project management body of knowledge
- Green project management
- Ahuja, R., Sawhney, A., & Arif, M. (2017). Driving lean and green project outcomes using BIM: a qualitative comparative analysis. International journal of sustainable built environment, 6(1), 69-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsbe.2016.10.006
- Ahuja, R., Sawhney, A., & Arif, M. (2018). Developing organizational capabilities to deliver lean and green project outcomes using BIM. Engineering, construction and architectural management, 25(10), 1255-1276. https://doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-08-2017-0175
- Al-Qassab, H., Paucar-Caceres, A., Wright, G., & Pagano, R. (2019). Sustainability and green project management skills: an exploratory study in the construction industry in Dubai. In Social responsibility and sustainability(pp. 223-239). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-03562-4_12
- Al-Refaie, A., Al-Momani, D., & Al-Tarawneh, R. (2020). Modelling the barriers of green supply chain practices in Jordanian firms. International journal of productivity and quality management, 29(3), 397-417.
- Alavi, S., & Aghakhani, H. (2021). Identifying the effect of green human resource management practices on lean-agile (LEAGILE) and prioritizing its practices. International journal of productivity and performance management. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-05-2020-0232
- Aalavi, S., & Janatyan, N. (2020). Identifying and prioritizing activities of green project management based on lean-sustainable principles in Isfahan Parks and Green Space Organization. Journal of production and operations management, 11(4), 1-24. DOI: 22108/JPOM.2021.126382.1316
- Alavi, S., & Mirmohammadsadeghi, S. (2021). Introducing a green agile workforce. Journal of soft computing and decision support systems, 8(1), 18-24.
- Alavi, S., Peivandzani, S., & Mirmohammadsadeghi, S. (2021). Risk assessment and prioritization of ERP implementation based on BSC. Journal of human, earth, and future, 2(1), 16-23. DOI: 28991/HEF-2021-02-01-02
- Alavi, S., & Abootalebi, S. (2021). Evaluating banks' performance in handling customer complaints during the COVID-19 outbreak via DEA and based on ISO-10002: 2018. Journal of production and operations management, 12(4), 1-20. (In Persian). https://jpom.ui.ac.ir/article_26127.html?lang=en
- Ates, A., & Bititci, U. (2011). Change process: a key enabler for building resilient SMEs. International journal of production research, 49(18), 5601-5618. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2011.563825
- Bajjou, M. S., & Chafi, A. (2020). Identifying and managing critical waste factors for lean construction projects. Engineering management journal, 32(1), 2-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/10429247.2019.1656479
- Barasa, E., Mbau, R., & Gilson, L. (2018). What is resilience and how can it be nurtured? a systematic review of empirical literature on organizational resilience. International journal of health policy and management, 7(6), 491-503.
- Birgün, S., & Kulaklı, A. (2022). Eliminating the barriers of green lean practices with thinking processes. In Digitizing production systems(pp. 372-383). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-90421-0_31
- Bouguerra, A., Gölgeci, İ., Gligor, D. M., & Tatoglu, E. (2021). How do agile organizations contribute to environmental collaboration? evidence from MNEs in Turkey. Journal of international management, 27(1), 100711. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intman.2019.100711
- Chou, Y. C., Yang, C. H., Lu, C. H., Dang, V. T., & Yang, P. A. (2017). Building criteria for evaluating green project management: an integrated approach of DEMATEL and ANP. Sustainability, 9(5), 740. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9050740
- Čiarnienė, R., & Vienažindienė, M. (2012). Lean manufacturing: theory and practice. Economics and management, 17(2), 726-732. https://doi.org/10.5755/j01.em.17.2.2205
- Cubukcu, C., & Cantekin, C. (2021). Using a combined Fuzzy-AHP and TOPSIS decision model for selecting the best firewall alternative. Journal of fuzzy extension and applications, 3(3), 192-200. DOI: 22105/jfea.2021.313606.1167
- de Moura, D. A., & Bonadio, V. C. (2021). Service value stream management (SVSM)-a case study. Independent journal of management & production, 12(4), 832-855.
- Ding, B., Ferras Hernandez, X., & Agell Jane, N. (2021). Combining lean and agile manufacturing competitive advantages through Industry 4.0 technologies: an integrative approach. Production planning & control, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2021.1934587
- Duan, P., Chen, S., Zhang, H., & Zhang, F. (2021). Grain for Green project in farmers’ minds: perceptions, aspirations and behaviours in eco-fragile region, Xinjiang, China. International journal of climate change strategies and management, 13(2), 191-207. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCCSM-06-2020-0069
- Duchek, S. (2020). Organizational resilience: a capability-based conceptualization. Business research, 13(1), 215-246. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40685-019-0085-7
- Fazli, M., GafarZadeh Afshari, A., Hajiaghaei-Keshteli, M. (2020). Identification and ranking the risks of green building projects using the hybrid SWARA-COPRAS approach: (the case: Amol county). Industrial management studies, 18(58), 139-192. (In Persian). DOI: 22054/jims.2019.35905.2162
- Fernandes, D., & Machado, C. (2022). Connecting ecological economics, green management, sustainable development, and circular economy: corporate social responsibility as the synthetic vector. In Green production engineering and management(pp. 183-236). Woodhead Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-821238-7.00001-4
- Fernandez, D. J., & Fernandez, J. D. (2008). Agile project management—agilism versus traditional approaches. Journal of computer information systems, 49(2), 10-17.
- Ghaobadi, J., Rezaeian, J., & Haji Aghaei Keshteli, M. (2019). Identification and prioritization the risks of green building projects based on the combination of FANP and FDEMATEL:(case study: Savadkooh county). Amirkabir journal of civil engineering, 51(3), 599-616. (In Persian). https://ceej.aut.ac.ir/article_2768.html
- Govindan, K., Azevedo, S. G., Carvalho, H., & Cruz-Machado, V. (2015). Lean, green and resilient practices influence on supply chain performance: interpretive structural modeling approach. International journal of environmental science and technology, 12(1), 15-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-013-0409-7
- He, Q. H., Zheng, M., & Wang, T. (2017). Resilience for construction project-based organizations: definition, critical factors and improvement strategies. Proceedings of 22nd international conference on advancement of construction management and real estate. Conference conducted at the meeting of CRIOCM 2017 Organising Committee.
- He, Z., Wang, G., Chen, H., Zou, Z., Yan, H., & Liu, L. (2022). Measuring the construction project resilience from the perspective of employee behaviors. Buildings, 12(1), 56. https://doi.org/10.3390/buildings12010056
- Hillmann, J., & Guenther, E. (2021). Organizational resilience: a valuable construct for management research? International journal of management reviews, 23(1), 7-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijmr.12239
- Hsu, C. H., Chang, A. Y., Zhang, T. Y., Lin, W. D., & Liu, W. L. (2021). Deploying resilience enablers to mitigate risks in sustainable fashion supply chains. Sustainability, 13(5), 2943. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13052943
- Hwang, B. G., & Ng, W. J. (2013). Project management knowledge and skills for green construction: overcoming challenges. International journal of project management, 31(2), 272-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2012.05.004
- Hwang, B. G., & Tan, J. S. (2012). Green building project management: obstacles and solutions for sustainable development. Sustainable development, 20(5), 335-349. https://doi.org/10.1002/sd.492
- Kamarthi, S., & Li, W. (2020). Technology enablers for manufacturing resilience in the COVID-19 and post-COVID-19 era. Smart sustainable manufacturing systems, 4(3), 294-298.
- Kumar, M., Garg, D., & Agarwal, A. (2019). Cause and effect analysis of inventory management in leagile supply chain. Journal of management information and decision sciences, 22(2), 67-100.
- Li, V. C. (2015). Re-engineering concrete for resilient and sustainable infrastructures. Proceedings of the ICE HKA Annual Conference 2015 (pp. 1-16). Institution of Civil Engineers Hong Kong Association
- Badi, S., & Murtagh, N. (2019). Green supply chain management in construction: A systematic literature review and future research agenda. Journal of cleaner production, 223, 312-322.
- Marana, P., Eden, C., Eriksson, H., Grimes, C., Hernantes, J., Howick, S., ... & Serrano, N. (2019). Towards a resilience management guideline—cities as a starting point for societal resilience. Sustainable cities and society, 48, 101531. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2019.101531
- Mhetre, K., Konnur, B. A., & Landage, A. B. (2016). Risk management in construction industry. International journal of engineering research, 5(1), 153-155. DOI : 17950/ijer/v5i1/035
- Miceli, A., Hagen, B., Riccardi, M. P., Sotti, F., & Settembre-Blundo, D. (2021). Thriving, not just surviving in changing times: how sustainability, agility and digitalization intertwine with organizational resilience. Sustainability, 13(4), 2052. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13042052
- Michalicki, M., Schneider, M., & Blöchl, S. (2018). Capital flow design–management accounting’s role in a lean enterprise. European lean educator conference (ELEC). Conference conducted at the meeting of the University of Minho, Braga, Portugal.
- Mourtzis, D., Papathanasiou, P., & Fotia, S. (2016). Lean rules identification and classification for manufacturing industry. Procedia CIRP, 50, 198-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2016.04.097
- Obradović, V., Todorović, M., & Bushuyev, S. (2018). Sustainability and agility in project management: contradictory or complementary? Conference on computer science and information technologies(pp. 522-532). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-01069-0_37
- Opoku, A. (2019). Sustainable development, adaptation and maintenance of infrastructure. International journal of building pathology and adaptation, 37(1), 2-5. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBPA-02-2019-074
- Oprins, R. J., Frijns, H. A., & Stettina, C. J. (2019). Evolution of scrum transcending business domains and the future of agile project management. International conference on agile software development(pp. 244-259). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-19034-7_15
- Prasad, S., Woldt, J., Tata, J., & Altay, N. (2019). Application of project management to disaster resilience. Annals of operations research, 283(1), 561-590. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-017-2679-9
- Puška, A., Stojanović, I., Maksimović, A., & Osmanović, N. (2020). Evaluation software of project management used measurement of alternatives and ranking according to compromise solution (MARCOS) method. Operational research in engineering sciences: theory and applications, 3(1), 89-102. https://doi.org/10.31181/oresta2001089p
- Rao, J. J., & Kumar, V. (2019). Technology adoption in the SME sector for promoting agile manufacturing practices. In Smart intelligent computing and applications(pp. 659-665). Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-1927-3_69
- Rasoulzadeh, M., & Fallah, M. (2020). An overview of portfolio optimization using fuzzy data envelopment analysis models. Journal of fuzzy extension and applications, 1(3), 180-188. http://www.journal-fea.com/article_118585.html
- Ruiz-Benítez, R., López, C., & Real, J. C. (2018). The lean and resilient management of the supply chain and its impact on performance. International journal of production economics, 203, 190-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2018.06.009
- Sabaghi, M., Rostamzadeh, R., & Mascle, C. (2015). Kanban and value stream mapping analysis in lean manufacturing philosophy via simulation: a plastic fabrication (case study). International journal of services and operations management, 20(1), 118-140.
- Schmitz, G. L. (2019). Behavioral aspects and change management for sustainable development. Encyclopedia of sustainability in higher education. Springer, Cham. DOI: 1007/978-3-319-63951-2_416-1
- Sharifi, A. (2016). A critical review of selected tools for assessing community resilience. Ecological indicators, 69, 629-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.05.023
- Sharifi, A., & Yamagata, Y. (2014). Resilient urban planning: major principles and criteria. Energy procedia, 61, 1491-1495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.12.154
- Sharma, U. (2003). Implementing lean principles with the Six Sigma advantage: how a battery company realized significant improvements. Journal of organizational excellence, 22(3), 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/npr.10078
- Singh, P. L., Sindhwani, R., Dua, N. K., Jamwal, A., Aggarwal, A., Iqbal, A., & Gautam, N. (2019). Evaluation of common barriers to the combined lean-green-agile manufacturing system by two-way assessment method. In Advances in industrial and production engineering(pp. 653-672). Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6412-9_62
- Stanitsas, M., Kirytopoulos, K., & Leopoulos, V. (2021). Integrating sustainability indicators into project management: the case of construction industry. Journal of cleaner production, 279, 123774. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.123774
- Tiwari, R. K., & Tiwari, J. K. (2020). Prioritisation of attributes of green leanness and agility to achieve sustainable strategic advantages in Indian automotive SMEs environment. International journal of industrial and systems engineering, 36(3), 316-338.
- To, W. M., & Lam, K. H. (2021). Green project management from employees' perspective in Hong Kong's engineering and construction sectors. Engineering, construction and architectural management, 29(4), 1890-1907.
- Verma, N., & Sharma, V. (2017). Sustainable competitive advantage by implementing lean manufacturing “A case study for Indian SME”. Materials today: proceedings, 4(8), 9210-9217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.07.279
- Verrier, B., Rose, B., Caillaud, E., & Remita, H. (2014). Combining organizational performance with sustainable development issues: the Lean and Green project benchmarking repository. Journal of cleaner production, 85, 83-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.12.023
- Wu, P., & Low, S. P. (2010). Project management and green buildings: lessons from the rating systems. Journal of professional issues in engineering education and practice, 136(2), 64-70.
- Zavyalova, E., Sokolov, D., & Lisovskaya, A. (2020). Agile vs traditional project management approaches: comparing human resource management architectures. International journal of organizational analysis. DOI: 1108/IJOA-08-2019-1857
- Zhang, B., Niu, Z., & Liu, C. (2020). Lean tools, knowledge management, and lean sustainability: the moderating effects of study conventions. Sustainability, 12(3), 956. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12030956
- Zhang, Z., & Sharifi, H. (2000). A methodology for achieving agility in manufacturing organisations. International journal of operations & production management, 20(4), 496-513. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443570010314818
- Zhou, X., & Tang, X. (2022). Does financing constraints impact the Chinese companies’ pollutants emissions? evidence from a sample selection bias corrected model based on chinese company-level panel data. Environmental science and pollution research, 1-16. 44119–44134. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-022-18907-7
- Zhu, Z., Yuan, J., Shao, Q., Zhang, L., Wang, G., & Li, X. (2020). Developing key safety management factors for construction projects in China: a resilience perspective. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(17), 6167. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17176167
- Lisovsky, A. L. (2019). Sustainable development and business process management. Стратегические решения и риск-менеджмент, 10(3), 228-237.
- Lešková, A., & Kováčová, Ľ. (2012). Automotive supply chain outline. Perner's contacts, 7(2), 96-104.